Beauty and the bees: How to make beauty products with honey
Perhaps you’ve been looking for the best lip balm in Australia or a moisturiser that’ll do a great job without costing the earth. Well, you might find what you’re looking for right under your nose at home.
Quality UMF Manuka honey is no ordinary honey. You can taste the power of Manuka when you incorporate it into your diet, but did you know Manuka Honey can also do incredible things for the outside of your body too? Manuka Honey can be used topically as a skin care product to nourish and revitalise skin. In fact, Antibacterial Medical-Grade Manuka Honey, also known as Medihoney®, is clinically proven for use in wound care, helping to heal wounds faster and with reduced scarring.
To add Manuka Honey to your beauty regime we’ve developed a series of simple recipes you can make at home to treat your skin with the natural benefits of our pure New Zealand Authentic UMF™ Manuka Honeys. After all, we already know there’s no substitute for a homecooked meal full of fresh ingredients to be sure we’re getting all the nutrients our bodies need, so why not apply this thinking to your beauty products too?
Our selection of effective homemade beauty products can be made in just a few minutes, from a Manuka honey coffee scrub to naturally one of the best lip balms in Australia. Your own homemade beauty products can also make the perfect gifts for family and friends.
Manuka Honey moisturiser
A moisturiser is a great way to nourish and make your face feel fully hydrated because it gives your skin the chance to properly absorb and lock in the special beneficial compounds of UMF Manuka honey. Not to mention the natural aromas which can make you feel calm and relaxed. You can create your Manuka honey moisturiser by following these easy steps.
- One-and-a-half teaspoons of Comvita UMF™ 10+ Manuka Honey
- One-quarter of a cup of olive oil o 1 Tablespoon of Argan oil
- 1 Teaspoon of New Zealand beeswax
- Half a teaspoon of vitamin E oil
- 5 Drops of essential oil (lavender recommended)
- 5 Drops of frankincense essential oil
- Place the olive oil, New Zealand beeswax and Argan oil in a heat-proof microwaveable bowl.
- Heat in 10 second increments and stir until the beeswax has melted.
- When the mixture has cooled, stir in the Comvita UMF™ 10+ Manuka Honey, vitamin E, lavender oil, and frankincense oil.
- Transfer to a small container and place in fridge, if necessary, to firm the mixture.
- Use fingers to apply the moisturiser gently to the face, being careful to avoid the eyes.
Top tip: If you’re wondering where to buy beeswax, you’ll find plenty of stockists and retailers online. Also keep in mind that your moisturiser will stay fresh for 3 – 4 months.
Honey coffee scrub
Exfoliating your skin regularly can leave your skin looking brighter and more vibrant while it also helps to reduce pimples by unclogging pores. But good quality exfoliators can sometimes be expensive, which is why making your own with a few natural ingredients could be incredibly rewarding. This coffee and Manuka honey body scrub will leave you feeling fresher than ever, revitalising your skin with the many natural health benefits of pure New Zealand UMF Manuka honey.
- 3 Tablespoons of Comvita UMF™ 10+ Manuka Honey
- One-quarter of a cup of raw brown sugar o Half a cup of finely ground coffee
- 2 Tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon of vanilla extract Directions
- Combine all your ingredients in a mixing bowl.
- Mix thoroughly until blended into a thick paste o Transfer to an airtight container to retain freshness and quality.
- Apply to wet skin and rub in a circular motion to exfoliate skin.
- Rinse the coffee scrub off from skin before resuming your usual shower routine.
Top tip: Avoid using the scrub on your face as facial skin is more sensitive to irritation than your body. Also, because a coffee scrub is harsher than an everyday soap, try not to use more than twice per week.
Antioxidant face mask
Packed with the antioxidant benefits of Comvita UMF Manuka honey, treating yourself with a Manuka honey face mask a couple of times a week could help your skin fight the free radicals that lead to faster aging. What’s more, the natural moisturising power of Manuka honey will leave your face feeling softer and looking brighter.
- 1 Tablespoon Comvita UMF™ 10+ Manuka Honey
- 2 Tablespoons of rolled oats
- 1 Tablespoon of live organic yogurt
- Place the oats in a food processor and pulse until the oats are broken down into smaller pieces, but make sure they don’t become too fine or powdery in texture.
- Mix the ground oats together with the yoghurt and Comvita UMF™ 10+ Manuka Honey until the mixture is evenly combined and smooth in consistency.
- Wash your face to ensure pores are free from dirt and natural skin oils that build up during the day.
- Apply the mask and leave for 15 minutes before removing with lukewarm water.
Top tip: Applying the mask while in the bath could be great way to minimise any mess. Also, with such a simple recipe, make the mask just before you intend to use it to ensure it’s as fresh as possible.
Exfoliating lip scrub
Your lips are one of the most delicate and sensitive parts of your body which means great care should be taken to remove those annoyingly dreadful dead skins cells that often leave them looking dull and worn. Here’s a Manuka Honey lip scrub that’ll ensure you’ll maintain a naturally vibrant smile without causing damage.
- 1 Tablespoon of Comvita UMF™ 10+ Manuka Honey
- 1 Tablespoon of raw natural brown sugar
- 1 Teaspoon of coconut oil
- Gently warm the coconut oil to loosen the consistency and mix in a small bowl with Comvita UMF™ 10+ Manuka Honey.
- Add the sugar and combine, noting that more coconut oil can be added if the mixture appears too thick. o Using a circular motion to exfoliate, apply the mixture to your lips with your finger and continue to gently rub for a few seconds.
- Leave the mixture on your lips for up to 3 minutes to make sure your skin absorbs the natural conditioning properties of the Manuka honey.
- Rinse off with warm water.
Top tip: To get the consistency of the lip scrub right when adding the coconut oil, aim for a thickness that keeps the exfoliating sugar granules bound together but is also loose enough to apply evenly and massage.
Manuka honey chamomile toner
A well-balanced skin pH can help your skin fight microbes and harmful free radicals that speed up the ageing process. At the same time, an unhealthy skin pH leaning towards the alkaline end of the spectrum often causes skin to become dry and wrinkly while a more acidic pH could cause skin to become red and itchy. Fortunately, using a toner could help you keep your skin pH right on balance – which is around the middle of the spectrum at pH 5.5.
Here’s a recipe using the power of Comvita UMF™ 10+ Manuka Honey.
- 1 Bag of organic chamomile tea (or tablespoon of chamomile flowers)
- 1 Teaspoon of Comvita UMF™ 10+ Manuka Honey
- 4 Tablespoons of Comvita Apple Cider Vinegar with Manuka Honey
- 1 Cup of boiling water
- Allow the chamomile tea to brew in the boiling water for 10 minutes.
- Remove the tea bag (or strain the chamomile flowers).
- Add the Comvita UMF™ 10+ Manuka Honey and Comvita Apple Cider Vinegar to the tea until completely dissolved.
- Allow the mixture to cool to room temperature and pour into a bottle.
- Cleanse the face and apply to toner to your skin with a cotton ball or soft cloth.
Top tip: The recipe can be kept for up to 30 days in a cool environment, so depending upon how much you use, you can adjust your ingredient quantities proportionately to make an entire month’s worth in one go.
Manuka honey face wash
You don’t always know what goes into your face wash when it’s manufactured – especially when they’re produced on a mass scale. The problem is, using the wrong facewash can send your skin pH out of balance and contribute to dry skin and other skin irritations.
This Manuka honey face wash recipe has been designed to put some purity, simplicity, and peace of mind back into your daily cleansing routine.
- 2 Tablespoons of Comvita UMF™ 10+ Manuka Honey
- 1 Tablespoon of Castile soap
- 1 Teaspoon of almond oil
- 5 – 10 drops of essential oil with an aroma of your choice
- Add all your ingredients to a watertight container.
- Shake well until the mixture has fully combined.
- Wet face with warm water and apply a small amount with the palm of your hand using circular motions to cleanse the skin.
Top tip: There are no preservatives in your natural Manuka Honey facewash, so avoid making large batches to ensure the freshness and quality of your wash is never compromised by lengthy storage.
Honey and Tea tree oil shampoo
The natural properties of Manuka honey can treat your hair in many ways when applied topically, from adding shine and moisture and building strength to maintaining a healthy clean scalp free from dirt and grease. The antioxidant and anti-inflammatory qualities of Manuka honey also have the potential to relieve you from hair and scalp-related conditions such as eczema and psoriasis.
So, here’s how to do it with this simple shampoo recipe using Comvita UMF™ 10+ Manuka Honey.
- 1 Tablespoon of Comvita UMF™ 10+ Manuka Honey
- 2 Tablespoons of Comvita Apple Cider Vinegar with Manuka Honey
- 1 Cup of aloe vera gel
- 1 Tablespoon of coconut oil
- 1 Teaspoon Castile soap
- 3 Tablespoons of water
- 10 Drops of tea tree essential oil
- 10 Drops of essential oil
- In a bowl, combine the Manuka honey and Apple Cider Vinegar.
- Add the coconut oil and aloe vera and stir thoroughly.
- Add the Castile soap and water and stir thoroughly.
- Finally, add the tea tree oil and essential oil.
- Transfer the mixture into a BPA-free bottle using a funnel and shake well.
- Apply to wet hair and massage into your scalp before rinsing.
Top tip: There could be many natural benefits of using tea tree essential oil in your hair in addition to UMF Manuka honey, but for your second essential oil, feel free to experiment with different aromas until you find the one that’s right for you. Beauty products don’t have to cost the earth if you make them yourself – all it takes is a little know-how.
With these recipes, you can be sure you’re treating your skin with the best that nature has to offer without the artificial additives and expense of many shop-bought beauty products