Winter Dessert Recipe - Guiltless Chocolate Cake
Original recipe by Lola Berry, adjusted to incorporate Comvita® ingredients. Not only delicious, but healthy too!
- 300g (3 cups) almond meal
- 30g (1/4 cup) coconut flour
- 90g (3/4 cup) raw cocoa powder
- 1 vanilla pod, split and seeds scraped (or a pinch of vanilla powder of a dash of vanilla extract)
- 200g (1 cup) coconut sugar or Comvita’s UMF™ 5+ Manuka Honey
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 60mls (1/2 cup) coconut oil, melted
- 3 large eggs
- 250ml (1 cup) full cream coconut milk
- 60ml Comvita’s Fresh-Picked™ Olive Leaf Extract Liquid Original
- Toppings of your choice – desiccated coconut
- 375mls (1 ½ cups) full cream coconut milk
- 4 tbsp Comvita’s UMF™ 5+ Manuka Honey
- 60g (1/2 cup) raw cacao powder
- 1/2 vanilla pod, split and seeds scraped (or a pinch of vanilla powder of a drop of vanilla extract)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Lightly grease the bottom and sides of an 18cm spring form cake tin with coconut oil.
- In a bowl, mix together the almond meal, coconut flour, cacao powder, vanilla seeds, Manuka honey and baking soda.
- Mix the melted coconut oil (make sure it’s not too hot or it will scramble the eggs), eggs, coconut milk and Olive Leaf Extract. Slowly add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix together really well; you want a smooth batter.
- Pour the batter into the prepared cake tin and bake for 40-45 minutes, or until a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean. It may need a little longer. If it does, cover with foil to prevent the top from burning.
- When it’s cooked, turn it out of the tin and leave it to cool on a wire cooling rack. Once it’s completely cool, cut the cake in half horizontally.
- Now for the ganache. In a medium saucepan, heat the coconut milk and Manuka honey slowly and gently, stirring it every now and then – you want this to be thick so give it time, it may take about an hour to really thicken up.
- Once it’s super-thick, add the cacao powder and the vanilla extract/pods and stir for another few minutes, then pop it in the fridge for 20 minutes or so to cool and thicken some more.
- When the ganache is cool, spread it on the bottom half of the cake, then place the top layer of cake on and coat it in ganache too.
- Top it all off with a generous amount of your choice of topping.